Social Media

Pinterest YouTubeTwitter
Monday, March 21, 2016

Withdrawal Symptoms

Artesia Blvd, Manhattan Beach, CA 90266, USA

Hey guys!

Watching the last episode of a TV series leaves me staring at the screen in a state of withdrawal. "What next?" I'll always ask myself. I don't know about you but I am in an insecure state of limbo watching the credits roll. Much to my surprise I'll see something else that catches my eye on Netflix and my life will go on. Yes, even after I finished ground-breaking series' such as Breaking Bad and The Office my life will go on.

I'm a senior in high school, so naturally there are a lot of moments that are considered, 'the most profound experiences that will last me a lifetime' and those moments will 'define me as an individual in an abundant, monochromatic society'. Many people go through their four years of high school not really contributing to the spirit of the school and having their legacy live on, which deserves our respect regardless.

But to be honest, I probably would find my life to be altered in a drastic way if my parents didn't force me to join marching band my freshman year at Mira Costa High School. My life would totally be different if I didn't commit all four years of my high school career #butterflyeffect.





Wow. It seems like forever ago when our group formed. These are my marching band friends that have grown with me since the beginning. When marching band first congregated in the summer of 2012, I knew these 7 individuals but never hung out with them or even talked to them outside of the band room (except maybe my friend Zack (but that's because we played the same instrument). After we all tried sitting together at lunch time, we realized that the friendship already formed. Now these people are considered my closest friends that I'm so blessed to have met. We have so many memories together because, evidently, we spent over 200 hours per year of marching band.



Looking at all the old pictures resorts to me recollecting all the inside jokes I share with my friends and the amazing memories that truly shaped me into the senior I am today.

The silliness and the nerdiness cracks me up every time. Sometimes I cringe at how well I respond to an inappropriate joke, but that's just how band kids are.

Anyways, the point that I was trying to get across was my personal philosophy stems from the idea that each individual on this Earth has a purpose. Whether that may result in selfish gratification seeking to be an ordinary humanitarian. Living life not pursuing happiness and meaning for yourself seems rather feckless. I learned more about myself in the four years pursuing excellence in band than if I would meandering from group to group trying to find my place. It was easy to understand my purpose at Mira Costa helping the underclassmen with their marching and giving a word of advice to those of ignorance, hoping it would eventually stick. More importantly, I tried forming bonds with like-minded individuals who are experiencing the same adversities as me. No matter how you pursue happiness, remember that friendship goes a long way.

I'm just glad that friendship came along easier than I thought.

Thanks guys. You know who you are. I love you to the moon and back <3

-J-










Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.